Carroll-Crawford House located at 1315 First Street was built in 1869 for Joseph Carroll, one of the city’s most successful cotton merchant. It was designed in the Italianate style with cast iron lace balconies by Samuel Jamison who also designed the Morris-Israel House.
There have been several other owners worth noting. R.M. Walmsley, whose grandson, T. Semmes Walmsley, served as mayor of the city from 1929 to 1936. In the 1920s it was owned by Valentine Merz, the founder of Dixie Brewery. In 1932, an engineer named Charles Crawford whose sister was Josephine a well-known French Quarter artist of the ‘20s and ‘30s.
ABC - O is for Ornate 10.19.20
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
September 17th, 2018
Viewed 2,886 Times - Last Visitor from Romeo, MI on 12/02/2023 at 7:26 PM