The Kearney County Courthouse in Minden, Nebraska, was first illuminated for Christmas in 1915 to honor the Grand Army of the Republic, a Civil War Veterans organization, when they held their annual encampment. At the time, it was a momentous event since rural Nebraska did not have electricity. Just imagine looking out across a flat dark prairie and seeing these Christmas lights glowing for miles!
It was not until 1936 that the rest of rural Nebraska began to be electrified when the Rural Electrification Act was signed.
In 1996, Nebraska's Governor named Minden, Nebraska, Christmas City.
Copyright 2016 Susan Rissi Tregoning
December 24th, 2016
Viewed 4,680 Times - Last Visitor from Ottawa, ON - Canada on 12/08/2023 at 11:28 AM