The Gilmour-Parker House located at 2520 Prythania in the New Orleans Garden District was built in 1853 for Thomas Gilmour, an English cotton merchant, and his wife Anna. It was the first asymmetrical and one of the earliest examples of Italianate architecture in the city.
In 1882, John Parker, Sr., and his wife, Roberta, purchased the house. They enlarged the home adding an extension to the dining room with bay windows, a rear hallway and replaced the original staircase. Their son, John Parker, Jr., served as Governor of Louisiana from 1920-24 and entertained his hunting companion, Theodore Roosevelt, in this house.
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
September 15th, 2018
Viewed 1,171 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 10/01/2023 at 5:23 AM