This covered bridge across the North Cedar Creek dates to 1894. Originally named the Cedar Creek Bridge, it is better known locally as the Hammond Covered Bridge after the nearby landowner that requested a bridge be built here.
The creek was channelized sometime after 1956, and the bridge no longer sits over the main water flow. The covered bridge is 78 feet long. In addition, two modern approach spans were added over the channel making the total length 178 feet long. The bridge is located in rural Marion County, about 5 miles west of Hamilton, Iowa, and is no longer used.
The Hammond Covered Bridge is a Covered Timber and Iron Howe Through Truss bridge design. William Howe patented this truss system in 1840. His trusses were used extensively by the railroads until many of his bridges collapsed in the 19th century. The most famous being Ohio’s Ashtabula Bridge in 1876, where approximately 92 people died. Iowa once had numerous Howe bridges throughout the state; all but the Hammond Covered Bridge have been demolished.
The Hammond Covered Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Copyright 2021 Susan Rissi Tregoning
June 4th, 2021
Viewed 1,880 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/01/2023 at 4:14 AM