The Ingalls home was built by Pa in 1887. In the beginning it was only three rooms. The rest of the house was built one room at a time as money, time and weather permitted. The 5 bedroom home was finally completed in 1889.
Laura never actually lived in this house. She married Almanzo Wilder in 1885 and they were living on their own homestead so this house was never mentioned in any of the Little House books.
In October of 1901, Laura’s youngest sister, Grace got married in the parlor.
A year later in 1902, Pa passed away of a heart attack. Ma and Mary rented out the upstairs part of the house for extra income after that. In 1918, Ma became ill. She passed away on Easter Sunday in 1924.
After Ma passed, Mary decided to visit Carrie in Keystone, South Dakota. Mary suffered a stroke while in Keystone and passed away in 1928. Mary never returned to this house.
Carrie inherited the house. In 1944, she decided to rent out the house but later sold it to the Ferguson family.
The house stands in its original location. All windows, doors, woodwork, siding, hinges and interior windows are original. The cupboards that Pa built for Ma are still in the kitchen.
Copyright 2017 Susan Rissi Tregoning
June 18th, 2017
Viewed 801 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 10/01/2023 at 10:56 PM