The McAllister Covered Bridge, 126 feet long, is a single-span Burr Arch truss bridge. Constructed in 1914 at the height of J.A. Britton’s bridge-building career, Britton was already 77 years old at the time, and his sons were doing the bulk of the labor.
This bridge has several obvious repairs, which have been reinforced with steel. In addition, the abutments, which are wider than the ends of the bridge, are supported with reverse kingposts.
The bridge was named for James D. McAllister, who owned Fairview Hill Farm near the bridge.
Copyright 2022 Susan Rissi Tregoning
December 31st, 2022
Viewed 2,145 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/10/2023 at 4:24 PM