Our Mother of Perpetual Help Chapel in the New Orleans Garden District.
Located at 2523 Prytania Street is the three story mansion most famously known as Our Mother of Perpetual Help Chapel. This Greek-Italianate Revival mansion was originally designed by Henry Howard in 1857 for the wealthy coffee importer Henry T. Daily Lonsdale. It was often called the skyscraper because it was the tallest structure in the Garden District at the time.
While this mansion’s intricate cast iron gallery and marble entrance exudes European elegance, it’s most distinctive characteristic just might be its lineage of owners. After the Civil War it was acquired by the Catholic Church as a home for older priests. Rather than going over to one of the two big churches, Catholic families in the Garden District began attending Mass at Our Mother of Perpetual Help Chapel in the home. From 1929 to 1953, it was a Catholic Girl’s School. Most recently it was owned by two different internationally known celebrities; Anne Rice lived here and used it as the setting for her novel Violin and Nicholas Cage owned it for a while.
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
September 14th, 2018
Viewed 2,202 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 10/01/2023 at 1:00 AM