Parke County, Indiana - Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge
Susan Rissi Tregoning
Photograph - Photography
A photo taken from below the Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge (Covered Bridge #35) of Sugar Mill Creek.
The Wilkins Mill Bridge, built in 1906, was the second of three bridges by William Hendricks. Located near Turkey Run State Park in Parke County, Indiana, this single-span Burr Arch Truss Bridge is 120 feet long and 16 feet wide. It’s still used today and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
A mill was built upstream from the bridge site in 1835. George Wilkins later opened a store and a carding mill in 1853. By 1855, Wilkins bought the mill. He later tore it down and put a new one in its place. That mill was Wilkins Mill and the source of the covered bridge’s name. Unfortunately, Wilkins Mill burned down in 1877, and another mill was built, which was there until 1947.
Parke County, Indiana, has 31 covered bridges remaining in the county and is called the Covered Bridge Capital of the World. They hold the Covered Bridge Festival every autumn.
Copyright 2022 Susan Rissi Tregoning
August 1st, 2022
Viewed 1,540 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/10/2023 at 4:44 PM