The church building was built in 1830-31 in the Federal architectural style with red bricks, rounded archives, a stepped gable roof, and an octagonal bell tower. It was dedicated January 1, 1832, with Reverend Doctor Jeremiah Chamberlain, the founder, and president of Oakland College, preaching the service.
On Sunday morning, September 13, 1863, a skirmish took place at the church. While the Union USS Rattler gunboat was docked in Rodney, Reverend Baker, a northern sympathizer, invited the crew to attend church services. Violating the Sunday truce, a small party of Confederate soldiers arrested them. When word reached the Rattler, the gunboat bombarded the town and church. The Confederates sent word that if shelling did not stop; they would hang all the prisoners. Thus, the town and church were spared.
The church still bears scars from the shelling, notice the cannonball above the second-floor center window. The cannonball is now a replica since people kept trying to steal it.
Located in the Ghost Town of Rodney, Mississippi, it has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.
Copyright 2019 Susan Rissi Tregoning
April 17th, 2019
Viewed 1,320 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/30/2023 at 10:01 AM