This beautiful old home is the superintendent’s lodge at Mound City National Cemetery. Built in 1880, it is the most significant building on site. It was designed by Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs, the lodge features a Victorian design with pronounced gables and highly decorative trim work.
Mound City National Cemetery located just outside of Mound City, Illinois, is one of the twelve original National cemeteries. It was established in 1864 by the Act of July 17, 1862, where President Lincoln was authorized “to purchase cemetery grounds to be used as a National Cemetery for soldiers who shall have died in the service of their country.”
While Mound City never saw combat during the Civil War, its strategic location near the junction of the Mississippi, Ohio and Cumberland Rivers made the city an important naval facility for the Union. A hospital complex that could serve 1000 to 1500 Civil War causalities was built here, making it the largest hospital in the West. The establishment of that hospital is what determined the location of a cemetery at Mound City.
The Mound City National Cemetery is the final resting place for 8,262 soldiers, including 2,759 unknown soldiers, and 27 Confederate soldiers who died in nearby hospitals.
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
May 27th, 2018
Viewed 588 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/02/2023 at 12:22 PM