The Wren Building Courtyard - Williamsburg, Virginia
Susan Rissi Tregoning
Photograph - Photography
The rear courtyard of the Wren Building.
Construction on the Sir Christopher Wren Building began in 1695, it was completed in 1699. The red brick building is in the style of Flemish and English Bond as was common in Williamsburg, Virginia, at the time. It was the first building to be built at the College of William and Mary, making it is the oldest college building in continuous use in the United States.
The Wren Building has survived two wars and three fires. It was the first major building restored in 1931 by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. after he and the Reverend Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin began the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg. The Wren Building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Copyright 2020 Susan Rissi Tregoning
February 27th, 2020
Viewed 5,328 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/08/2023 at 4:30 PM