The Cutler-Donahoe Covered Bridge was built in 1870 by Eli Cox; it is 79 feet in length and features a pitched roof. This covered bridge was originally located 18 miles northeast of Winterset on the North River near Bevington, Iowa.
The bridge was moved to Winterset’s City Park in 1970. Clair Rogers, a local house mover, was commissioned to move it before the first covered bridge festival. Clair also gave his time to rebuild the western one-third of the structure and to re-roof it.
Covered Bridges are often named for the nearby resident. Both the Cutler and the Donahoe families each claimed naming rights, thus the bridges hyphenated name.
Copyright 2017 Susan Rissi Tregoning
July 22nd, 2017
Viewed 1,749 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/01/2023 at 11:02 PM