St. John's Parish on the University Mall at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.
English Gothic in style, St. John's church was designed by local Omaha architect P.J Creedon. When the church's cornerstone was laid in 1888, there were 4000 people in attendance. At the time, it was the largest crowd to ever assemble in Nebraska. Originally intended only to serve the students of Creighton, it was made into a regular parish in 1897.
Creighton University, a private Jesuit university, was founded in 1878 by the Society of Jesus through a $100,000 gift from Mary Lucretia Creighton. She wished to establish a school in the memory of her husband, Edward Creighton. Edward's brother, John A. Creighton, donated much of the initial funding for the church. Mary Creighton donated her jewelry to the church building fund.
Copyright 2021 Susan Rissi Tregoning
June 7th, 2021
Viewed 2,904 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/01/2023 at 3:51 PM