When the Western Maryland Railway built the Cumberland Station in 1913, they placed it at the northern end of the old Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Basin, which was filled in as the canal declined in importance. This historic red-brick train depot operated as a passenger station until finally closing in 1958.
Though the 1990s, the station underwent a series of renovations. Today the building is the center of the Canal Place preservation district. The depot houses offices for the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, a sightseeing excursion train through the Blue Ridge Mountain Foothills. As the C&O Canal terminus, it is also the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park visitor’s center and museum, a national park that stretches 184 miles from Cumberland, Maryland, to Washington DC.
In 1973, the Western Maryland Railway Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Copyright 2020 Susan Rissi Tregoning
October 8th, 2020
Viewed 1,208 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/30/2023 at 7:06 PM