Known locally as Colonel Short’s Villa or the Cornstalk Fence Mansion, this Italianate home was built in 1859 for Colonel Robert H. Short of Kentucky by architect Henry Howard.
In 1863, the house was seized by the federal forces occupying the city as the property of an absent rebel. It briefly served as the executive mansion for the Federal Governor of Louisiana before it was finally returned to Colonel Short in 1865. He lived here until his death in 1890.
The unusual fence features a pattern of morning glories and cornstalks and is the most famous work of cast iron in the Garden District. Colonel Short purchased the fence for his wife, who was homesick for her native Iowa.
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
September 13th, 2018
Viewed 859 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 06/01/2023 at 8:34 PM