Jean Laffite’s Old Absinthe House with the Hotel Monteleone in the background.
Dating from approximately 1806, The Old Absinthe House bar at the corner of Bourbon and Bienville Streets is one of the oldest bars in New Orleans. It is famous for its cocktail, the absinthe frappe or “green monster”. This was also the location of the outlaw Jean Lafitte’s importing firm (pirate operation).
Thanks to a defeat at the hands of the US Navy, Lafitte’s ships were sitting empty in the harbor without enough sailors to sail them when Andrew Jackson visited Lafitte here in his 2nd floor office. Jackson asked Lafitte if he would command his ships and fight against the invading British forces. Lafitte agreed in return for full pardons for himself and any of his men who participated in the battle. Three weeks later, Lafitte and his men easily repelled the British and effectively ended the War of 1812.
Also worth noting, the Hotel Monteleone which was built in 1886 in the Beaux-Arts architectural style, it is the only high-rise building located within French Quarter.
Travel Art 1.27.19
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
August 31st, 2018
Viewed 5,941 Times - Last Visitor from Ottawa, ON - Canada on 12/08/2023 at 1:16 PM