Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote in her Little House books of living in this house the first winter the Ingalls family spent on the Dakota Prairies in her book, By the Shores of Silver Lake.
This is the oldest building in De Smet. The railroad built this railroad company house on the north shore of Silver Lake around 1879, a year before there was even a town here. It was moved to town in 1884.
According to Pa’s journal, the Ingalls family moved in on December 1, 1879. The family spent their first winter here, the house often serving as a hotel for the many homesteaders coming through the area.
Copyright 2017 Susan Rissi Tregoning
June 17th, 2017
Viewed 1,018 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 10/01/2023 at 3:06 PM